Full Report for Listed Buildings
Summary Description of a Listed Buildings
Date of Designation
Date of Amendment
Name of Property
Statue of Nelson on shore of Menai Strait
Isle of Anglesey
Situated on a rocky outcrop on the northern banks of the Menai Strait, SSW of the Parish Church of St. Mary.
Lord Clarence Paget, a son of the first Marquess of Anglesey, was a sailor and whilst secretary to the Navy had initiated the Naval Reserve Force. In 1853 he purchased Plas Llanfair and in 1873 had executed the statue of Lord Nelson, to commemorate his death at Trafalagar in 1805. The statue was erected at the waters edge below the Plas as a landmark for mariners.
Square, battered chamber built of rubble masonry with a limestone dressings and roof platform surmounted by an octagonal plinth and a statue of Lord Nelson in naval uniform looking out over the Menai Strait, the circular base of which reads: Clarence Paget Sculpt. 1873. Chamber with tapering, square headed doorway in N face and square headed narrow rectangular doorway in NNE face of octagonal plinth, both with studded plank doors. Upper door leads out on to railed platform with 3 cast iron balusters each side. Slate tablets in W and E faces of chamber read: FELL / AT / TRAFALGAR / 1805, to W and A LADDWYN / YN / TRAFALGAR / 1805 to E.
Reason for designation
Included as a striking example of commemorative sculpture, prominently sited on the shores of the Menai Strait.
Cadw : Full Report for Listed Buildings [ Records 1 of 1 ]