Full Report for Listed Buildings
Summary Description of a Listed Buildings
Date of Designation
Date of Amendment
Name of Property
Situated on the crest of hill close to the by-road from Mold to Leeswood village. Set in an exceptional early C18 landscape park.
Built c1724-6 for Sir George Wynne, probably to designs by Francis Smith, architect of Warwick. Wynne amassed a large fortune in the early decades of the eighteenth century when a rich lead seam was found on his land at Halkyn Mountain. It is reputed that the construction of the house cost him £40,000. Wynne also employed Stephen Switzer to design the landscape park including a large number of highly decorative garden buildings. By 1798 the house was owned by the Rev. Hope Eyton who carried out substantial alterations in the early C19. He greatly reduced the size of the building, demolishing long side wings and probably the top storey of the main block. The former central courtyard was filled-in and now forms the present dining room, the interior details are predominately early C19 in character.
NW garden front of 2 storeys, 2+4+2 bays wide (original end bays slightly advanced). Cement rendered red brick, ashlar dressings, slate roofs with rendered stacks. Heavy moulded cornice breaks forward over giant Corinthian pilasters to angles, balustraded parapet to centre bays; overall sill band, lugged architraves, segmental pediments over ground floor windows with aprons in stone plinth. Small-pane Regency sash windows, later porch in angle towards right. Fluted cornice brackets set in walls between upper outer bays. Similar treatment to 4-bay right elevation; left flank awaiting reconstruction at time of survey (1996), banded quoins to rear angle with added brick service wing to rear.
Retains some original 1720s plasterwork, panelled doors and window splays, marble chimney pieces with curved angles and carved keyblocks, that to main reception room containing carved arched dolphin, the Wynne emblem. Principle suite of public rooms and staircase hall are Regency with reeded architraves, restrained plasterwork, fine imperial staircase with iron balustrade etc. Rear drawing room contains segmental plasterwork ceiling. Present kitchen was former library and contains C18 marble fireplace with keystone. Billiard room possibly the former servants hall has stone flagged floor and contains re-used C17 wooden fireplace and overmantle, decorated with strapwork detailing and the carved date 1667. Upper floor served by spinal corridor.
Reason for designation
Listed grade II* as an important early C18 country house by a major regional architect for a notable local family.
Cadw : Full Report for Listed Buildings [ Records 1 of 1 ]