Full Report for Listed Buildings

Summary Description of a Listed Buildings

Reference Number
Building Number
Date of Designation
Date of Amendment
Name of Property
Parish Church of St Michael and All Angels  


Unitary Authority
Street Side
Located in the village centre within its own rubble-walled churchyard.  


Broad Class
Religious, Ritual and Funerary  

An ancient site, apparently founded in the 8th century as a Llan. The church is first recorded in the Norwich Taxatio of 1253 as 'Eccla de Wenechdit' and is again mentioned in the Ruthin Court Rolls of 1282. The present fabric may in essence be the structure referred to, though masonry breaks at the E end show that the chancel was extended early on. A single-cell plan, the church was always small, and appears to have only ever had a W entrance; its fine late C15 or early C16 porch is, as a W-end porch, quite unusual. The cluster-truss roof is probably of the mid C14, to which date (or slightly earlier) the E window belongs, though masonry disturbance below suggests this has been relocated. The church was restored in 1714 and again in 1873, the latter under the architect Arthur Baker and at a cost of £500.  

Small single-cell parish church. Of local limestone construction, mostly of coursed, roughly squared blocks, with slate roof; oversailing eaves with expressed rafter ends. Stone-coped gable parapets to W and E, the latter with stone gable cross. The S and N sides each have a 2-light C19 Decorated-style window to the nave, with a similar chancel window on the S side; cusped ogee heads with plain ferementa. On both N and S sides there is a masonry break between the nave and chancel, with the latter slightly narrower than the former. The E end has a simple pointed-arched, 2-light tracery window of red sandstone with 2 cusped lights and surmounting quatrefoil oculus; the sill and mullion are C19 replacements in lighter sandstone. The W gable has a 2-stage gabled sandstone bellcote with moulded kneelers and surmounting gable cross; chamfered bell opening with cusped inner arch. Below this, in the gable, is a cusped (C19) lancet. W entrance via a fine gabled porch, the upper section of which is timber-framed and the front to which is open; rubble side walls and slate roof. Open collar truss to front with oversailing bargeboards above; replaced (C19) brattishing to these, with central pendant/finial. Within, the porch is of one bay with inner and outer collar trusses, cusped wind bracing and chamfered purlins; narrow stone benches to both sides and slate-flagged floor. Original oak door of chamfered post-and-panel construction with rails to the top and bottom; the upper section was restored in the C19, original wrought iron knocker. Tudor-arched sandstone inner entrance with deep hollow chamfer and incised date '1873' at the apex.  

Continuous nave and chancel plan with cluster-truss roof. This consists of grouped primary arched-braced collar trusses, with plain intermediate principals, the latter belonging to the C19 restoration. Encaustic tiled pavement to the W end and central aisle. Primitive late-medieval oak tub font, perhaps C14; of polygonal type with band of knobs towards the bottom. This has a C19 circular limestone base. C19 oak pews, reusing some earlier (probably C17) pew ends; simple geometric tops with chip-carved decoration. Stepped-up chancel, with re-located sections of carved late-medieval brattishing forming a low division between this and the nave; these have blind Gothic arcading and crenellations and are either originally from a former Rood screen, or perhaps formed the wall plate decoration to the formerly waggon-vaulted chancel. Late C17 semi-octagonal pulpit with dentilated and moulded cornice and applied geometric decoration to the upper panels. Further pews, as before, as choirstalls. Polychromed tiles to chancel and sanctuary, the latter stepped up once more. Oak altar rails, apparently re-using turned balusters of late C17 or early C18 type. The side walls have re-located sections of small-field panelling, no doubt originally belonging to C17 or C18 box pews; modern oak panelled reredos (dated 1962). Monuments: (a) Chancel, N wall: small funerary monument to Jacob Conway of Efenechtyd, Gent., d.1718; in grey/white figured marble with recessed inscription tablet, moulded cornice and shaped apron; ball flower pendant, surmounting the cornice is a polychromed heraldic carving; (b) framed mural tablet in white figured marble in memory of the Rev John Guatti, A M of Jesus college, Oxford, d.1791; by J Nelson, sculptor of Shrewsbury; (c) Nave, N wall: plain inscribed slate tablet to the Price family of Plas (1799-1836); (d) primitive wooden painted and framed tablet to Catherine Lloyd, d.1810; with painted angel's heads in C17 manner; (e) S wall: simple classical funerary tablet in white marble to John Jones of Pen-y-Coed and Ty Draw, d.1813; (f) simple small slate tablet to Catherine Parry, aged 5, d.1737. On the N wall of the chancel is a fragment of a post-Reformation wall painting, depicting the Commandments in Welsh, painted in black-letter Gothic script; later palimpsest in brown lettering. Also on the N wall is a wooden framed benefactors' board with painted letters in Welsh; dated 1787. The E window has modern figurative glass, dated 1984.  

Reason for designation
Listed Grade II* for its special interest as a medieval parish church retaining good historic character and with unusual W porch.  

Cadw : Full Report for Listed Buildings [ Records 1 of 1 ]