Full Report for Listed Buildings
Summary Description of a Listed Buildings
Date of Designation
Date of Amendment
Name of Property
Partly in the community of Llanelwedd
Spanning River Wye between former counties of Brecon and Radnor, (now districts of Brecknock and Radnor).
Built 1779 by James Parry of Hay,architect, replacing former wooden bridge. Refaced 1879; strengthened, and widened on downstream side by county engineers of counties of Brecon and Radnor, 1925.
In local grey stone. Coursed squared stone with snecked parapet. Six broad arches with voussoirs and keystones. Rounded cutwaters to west, pointed to east. Parapet with central refuges. Piers have vertical joints showing extent of widening, with darker stone on the upstream side.
Inscription carved on refuge in interior parapet records that, "This bridge was erected at the expence of the counties of Brecon and Radnor by James Parry of Hay in 1779. The original stone after serving its purpose for a hundred years became completely decayed and this stone was put in its place by the inhabitants of Builth 1879. This bridge was widened and strengthened by the above counties in 1925...".
Cadw : Full Report for Listed Buildings [ Records 1 of 1 ]