Full Report for Listed Buildings


Summary Description of a Listed Buildings


Reference Number
7688
Building Number
 
Grade
II  
Status
Designated  
Date of Designation
26/10/1953  
Date of Amendment
21/08/1995  
Name of Property
Pentre Llifior Chapel  
Address
 

Location


Unitary Authority
Powys  
Community
Berriew  
Town
 
Locality
Pentre Llifior  
Easting
314711  
Northing
297780  
Street Side
 
Location
On the road from Berriew to Bettws Cedewain, 5km approx SW of Berriew village.  

Description


Broad Class
Religious, Ritual and Funerary  
Period
 

History
Dated 1798, and said to be the first Wesleyan chapel to be built in Montgomeryshire. Possibly restored and re-ordered mid C19, as the windows appear to date from this period; interior fittings also probably mid-late C19.  

Exterior
A small, simple chapel. Brick with slate roof, entered via the gable wall: central paired panelled doors in later brick lean-to porch. 2 paired segmentally headed lights with interlaced tracery and some coloured glass, above the doorway. Similar tracery in the 2 similar windows of each side elevation, with panelled external shutters, and blue brick sills. Datestone between the windows of the front wall, inscribed 'Wesley's Methodist Chapel 1798'. 2 similar windows in right hand gable return.  

Interior
Central aisle, with box pews to either side: similar pews flank the pulpit in the centre of the gable wall, opposite the doorway, behind the plain rail. Chamfered panelling to pulpit, with ball finials surmounting principal posts. Gallery across NE wall, with plain panelling, and carried on cast iron posts. Plain flat ceiling.  

Reason for designation
A very good example of a simple Wesleyan chapel, which retains its C19 fittings.  

Cadw : Full Report for Listed Buildings [ Records 1 of 1 ]





Export