Full Report for Listed Buildings
Summary Description of a Listed Buildings
Date of Designation
Date of Amendment
Name of Property
The War Memorial and stone seat
Situated before former Carmarthen Infirmary.
War memorial of 1923-4 to the fallen of the 1914-18 war, with statue by Sir William Goscombe John on pedestal and with stone curving bench surround designed by E.V. Collier.
Bronze statue of soldier in First World War battledress standing at ease with hand resting on rifle with bayonet fixed. This, on squared silver granite inscribed pedestal with moulded plinth and chamfered angles, which in turn rests on rock-faced granite steps. Inscription on front reads ''''To the immortal memory of the men of Carmarthenshire who fell in the Great War 1914-1918'''' and below, ''''Mewn angof ni chant fod.'''' To rear inscription to the 1610 nurses officers and men of all ranks who fell. On side inscription to fallen of 1939-45 war.
Around the rear is a semicircular stone bench with sandstone ashlar seat on rock-faced grey limestone plinth and with tooled grey limestone back. Seat ends at grey stone obelisks, then low stone wall with rails out to outer obelisk, then further section out to Infirmary gatepiers.
Reason for designation
Included as a war memorial by the leading Welsh sculptor of the earlier C20.
Cadw : Full Report for Listed Buildings [ Records 1 of 1 ]