Full Report for Listed Buildings
Summary Description of a Listed Buildings
Date of Designation
Date of Amendment
Name of Property
Bridge over Neath Canal at Farmer's Arms Lock
Neath Port Talbot
On the Neath Canal at Farmer's Arms some 250m W of the roundabout on the A465 at Resolven.
Late C18 tail-lock bridge over the Neath Canal. The canal was originally planned from Pontneddfechan to Neath and was started in 1791 with Thomas Dadford Junior as General Surveyor. Thomas Sheasby replaced him in mid 1792 and the Neath Canal was completed in 1795. By 1799 the canal had been extended to the Giant's Grave near Briton Ferry.
Canal bridge, built into former canal lock to NE. Rubble stone with single segmental arch of dressed sandstone voussoirs. Parapets with cement coping longer on SW side and the SE ends dip to path level.
Reason for designation
Listed for its special historic interest as a tail-lock bridge retaining its character on this important C18 canal.
Cadw : Full Report for Listed Buildings [ Records 1 of 1 ]