Full Report for Listed Buildings
Summary Description of a Listed Buildings
Date of Designation
Date of Amendment
Name of Property
Bridge at lock on Neath Canal N of Yscwrfa Bridge
Neath Port Talbot
Situated some 1km W of Glynneath on the N side of the B4242 just N of Yscwrfa Bridge.
Late C18 tail-lock bridge on the Neath Canal. The canal was originally planned from Pontneddfechan to Neath and was started in 1791 with Thomas Dadford Junior as General Surveyor. Thomas Sheasby replaced him in mid 1792 and the Neath Canal was completed in 1795. By 1799 the canal had been extended to the Giant's Grave near Briton Ferry.
Canal bridge built into lock, coursed rubble stone with segmental arch of dressed stone voussoirs and thin crown. No parapets and stone deck now grassed over.
Reason for designation
Listed for its special historic interest as a tail-lock bridge on this important C18 canal.
Cadw : Full Report for Listed Buildings [ Records 1 of 1 ]