Full Report for Listed Buildings
Summary Description of a Listed Buildings
Date of Designation
Date of Amendment
Name of Property
Bridge over Neath Canal at Maes-gwyn
Neath Port Talbot
Crossing the Neath Canal some 700m W of Cwmgwrach and approximately 70m SE of Maes-gwyn.
Late C18 bridge crossing the Neath Canal refurbished in the 1980s as part of the restoration of four miles of the Neath Canal from Resolven to Yscwrfa Bridge. The canal was originally planned from Pontneddfechan to Neath and was started in 1791 with Thomas Dadford Junior as General Surveyor. Thomas Sheasby replaced him in mid 1792 and the Neath Canal was completed in 1795. By 1799 the canal had been extended to the Giant's Grave near Briton Ferry.
Canal bridge, rubble stone, single segmental arch with tooled cut stone voussoirs. Humped with rubble stone parapets with thin cement coping splayed out to square piers.
Reason for designation
Listed for its special historic interest as a bridge retaining its character on this important C18 canal.
Cadw : Full Report for Listed Buildings [ Records 1 of 1 ]