Full Report for Listed Buildings
Summary Description of a Listed Buildings
Date of Designation
Date of Amendment
Name of Property
Bridge Street, rear wing
Roof timbers are possibly datable to early C15. Originally a 2 storeyed building, the former hospital belonging to the Priory, and outside the original town defences. Bridge Street was already so-called in 1570 and is likely to have been part of the early town plan, linking a bridge over the River Usk and Usk Castle. Later used as the town gaol, or House of Correction, and reputedly where Roman Catholic martyr Father Baker was imprisoned in C17. In recent years in same ownership as number 28.
A storage building with earlier origins, set back behind a courtyard. Of rubble, painted, with slate roof. To right a basket-arched former carriage entrance; square headed double door to left. Under eaves a square-headed hood mould with spurred (kite-shaped) stop, opening blocked; 2 other eaves openings, one blocked and one with similar vestigial hoodmould. W gable end has blocked doorways and a shallow offset.
Retains early wind-braced roof dated to c 1400.
Reason for designation
Graded II* for its strong historic interest, and retention of late medieval fabric. Group value with other listed buildings in Bridge Street.
Cadw : Full Report for Listed Buildings [ Records 1 of 1 ]