Full Report for Listed Buildings
Summary Description of a Listed Buildings
Date of Designation
Date of Amendment
Name of Property
Day Houses and School House, Monmouth Boys School
In a group in between the town centre and the River Wye.
Adapted in 1877-8 by William Snooke (plaque) from the existing Head and Assistant Master's houses, but it is not possible to differentiate between the earlier and later work. The buildings were altered again by Henry Stock in 1895-6, mainly only on the quadrangle side but the gables next to the Chapel on Almshouse Street were added at this time, and externally there seems to have been little change since.
Built of coursed rock faced red sandstone rubble with Bath stone dressings and Welsh slate roofs. Three storey ranges running the length of Wyebridge Street between the Design and Technology Centre (qv) and Almshouse Street with the return along Almshouse Street to meet the earlier Victorian school buildings; the left-hand part has an additional understorey as the ground falls towards the river. Tudorbethan style.
The Wyebridge Street elevation is in three distinct sections with recessed joins between. From the left:-
A three bay section with central entrance up steps. Panelled door with Tudor arch head, dripmould over, above this a 2-light mullioned window and above again a shorter one with paired coats-of-arms above. The ground floor has two 2-light mullion-and-transom windows on each side, Tudor heads to the left. The first floor has plain headed windows, otherwise the same. The second floor has a 5-light mullion-and-transom window on the left and two 2-light ones on the right, all these with Tudor heads. Two coped gables with quatrefoil vents and spike finials.
A four bay section with two wide gabled bays and two narrow recessed bays between. The ground floor of the left-hand bay has paired 2-light mullion-and-transom windows flanked by single light ones, the same, but without transom to the floor above and a 5-light window with transom in the gable; all these windows have Tudor heads to the lights. Gable with pinnacle on either side, quatrefoil vent and spike finial to the apex. The centre bays are divided by a tall stack with decorative strips of Bath stone and an inscription panel; 3-light mullion-and-transom windows on the ground floor, with transom on the first floor, all with Tudor heads; plain 2-light windows on the second floor. The right hand bay has two 2-light mullion-and-transom windows on the ground floor with a door to the right; the first floor has two 2-light windows with single light one on right, two 2-light windows on the upper floor, gable with coat-of-arms and tall octagonal stack on the apex.
Three bay section on the corner of Almshouse Street has strongly expressed cill bands. All 2-light windows on Wyebridge Street elevation, with transoms on the ground floor and in the gable. Central doorway. Gable with quatrefoil vent and finial. The Almshouse Street elevation has paired 2-light windows as before on the ground and first floors, 4-light mullion-and-transom windows on the second floor, two gables, each with quatrefoil vent and apex spike finial.
The inner elevation to the school quadrangle has sections of the facade set forward and back and five gables of differing sizes. Various window types, some of which look as if they were changed by Henry Stock. The two storey canted bay with a 3-light mullion-and-transom window flanked by 2-light ones is certainly an addition by him as it is not shown on the 1881 O.S. map.
Interior not inspected at resurvey. The interior is both altered and utilitarian as is usual with schools in use.
Reason for designation
Included as a late Victorian education building and for its additional historic interest as a part of an important town grammar school.
Cadw : Full Report for Listed Buildings [ Records 1 of 1 ]