Full Report for Listed Buildings
Summary Description of a Listed Buildings
Date of Designation
Date of Amendment
Name of Property
Old Entrance Gateway, River Wall and secondary Gate of Monmouth Boys School
In a group in between the town centre and the River Wye in the centre of the Monmouth School wall along the river.
Built probably in 1896 as a part of the improvements to Monmouth School designed by Henry Stock, architect to the Worshipful Company of Haberdashers. This entrance to the school was closed as a result of the running of the A40 dual-carriageway between it and the river in 1961. The secondary gate was installed in the wall in 1941 after the destruction of Haberdashers' Hall in London in WWII.
Built of roughly squared and coursed old red sandstone with dressed quoins, and other dressings in Forest of Dean sandstone. Castellated wall running west along the A40 for about 75m from Wyebridge Street and returning north to meet the Design and Technology Centre (qv) on Wyebridge Street. The wall, about 3m in height, is topped by coped castellations standing on a band, both of Forest stone. The old entrance gate, now blocked, is canted across the corner and has a 4-centred arch flanked by octagonal turrets with pepper pot tops. Above the arch are the arms of the Worshipful Company of Haberdashers with supporting shields. Along to the left is an arched footgate with a decorative double wrought iron gate of C18 date which was brought from Haberdashers' Hall in London.
Reason for designation
Included as an adjunct to the late Victorian buildings of Monmouth school and for its additional historic interest as a part of an important town grammar school.
Cadw : Full Report for Listed Buildings [ Records 1 of 1 ]