Full Report for Listed Buildings
Summary Description of a Listed Buildings
Date of Designation
Date of Amendment
Name of Property
Automobile Association Telephone call box 161 at Nantyffin
Llanfihangel Cwmdu with Bwlch and Cathedine
On the S side of the A40 opposite the Cider House Inn and the junction with the A479.
The Automobile Association was established in 1905 and from 1912 established the roadside sentry boxes that would later evolve into emergency telephone boxes. The cross-gabled roof became an established feature from 1921. Surviving AA phone boxes are of a type designed in 1956 by Enham Industries, Enham Alamein, Hampshire. In total 862 boxes were erected in Britain, 57 of which were in Wales. Box 161 was erected between 1960 and 1963 by WI Hampshire & Sons of Raglan. In the 1990s the AA re-branded all of its surviving boxes with its original winged badge, replacing the simpler square logo that had been introduced in 1967.
The roadside call box is square in plan and tapering, constructed of black-painted galvanised sheet metal riveted to angle strips, which are painted yellow. The structure has a cross-gabled roof, painted metallic grey, with central raised ventilator. The winged AA badge, painted yellow, is fixed to the 3 gables that face the road, and on to the door. Panels on the door, the sides facing the road and the cross gables record the box number and the name, all renewed in the 1990s.
Not seen at inspection.
Reason for designation
Listed as a very rare survival of a once familiar roadside structure associated with the early years of mass car ownership.
Cadw : Full Report for Listed Buildings [ Records 1 of 1 ]