Full Report for Listed Buildings
Summary Description of a Listed Buildings
Date of Designation
Date of Amendment
Name of Property
Wye Bridge (partly in Builth Wells)
Spanning the River Wye on the N edge of Builth Wells.
Built in 1779 by James Parry of Hay. The parapet was rebuilt in 1879. In 1925 the bridge was strengthened and widened to a double carriageway by extending the downstream (E) side. Engineers were W Lewis Harpur and TW Wishlade, county engineers of Brecon and Radnor.
A double-carriageway coursed rubble-stone bridge of 6 spans, ramped towards the centre. On the upstream (W) side are pointed stepped cutwaters. On the downstream side are similar but V-shaped cutwaters. Arches, progressively narrower and lower towards the bank, are segmental with prominent keystones. The underside of the bridge has a butt joint distinguishing the 2 phases. A raised band is beneath the parapet, which on the W side was rebuilt in 1879. The central cutwater in each face is carried up full height to form refuges on the parapet.
The refuge on the W side has a stone tablet inscribed 'The bridge was erected at the expence of the counties of Brecon and Radnor by James Parry of Hay in 1779. The original stone after serving its purpose for a hundred years became completely decayed and this stone was put in its place by the inhabitants of Builth in 1879. This bridge was widened and strengthened by the above counties in 1925. Engineers W Lewis Harpur Brecon, TW Wishlade Radnor. Contractor Hybart Broadhead & Co of London'.
Reason for designation
Listed for its special historic interest as a substantial C18 road bridge well preserved and sensitively widened in the early C20.
Cadw : Full Report for Listed Buildings [ Records 1 of 1 ]