Full Report for Listed Buildings
Summary Description of a Listed Buildings
Date of Designation
Date of Amendment
Name of Property
Church of St Michael
Isolated setting about 2.5km (1+ miles) E of Llandrindod Wells, close under the banks of Ceffnlys Castle. Formerly the centre of Ceffnlys borough, a now deserted village.
Religious, Ritual and Funerary
C13, restored 1895 after two years of abandonment. The rector of the new town of Llandrindod Wells had the church deliberately unroofed in an attempt to persuade the parishioners to attend the new church in the town. The restoration may be by Nicholson and Sons, architects of Hereford, who rebuilt the old church in Llandrindod in 1894 after similar treatment.
Single cell with small west tower topped by low broach spire. South porch with four-centred arch. Coursed rubble, slate roof. The tower has some rock-faced masonry and a drip course which runs as a hood mould over the windows. Pointed arch doorway at south east end of nave. Paired and single lancet windows, those either side of the sanctuary with hood moulds, the east window and one at the east end of the south wall of the nave are possibly original.
Chamfered round-arched south doorway. Arch-braced, hammer-beam roof, exposed rafters, boarded underside; the chancel trusses are distinguished by pierced apex treatment and quatrefoil ornamental wall-brackets. Raised chancel and sanctuary areas. Restored C15 screen - six lights either side of central doorway flanked by standards with elaborately capped bowtells. The tracery head to the doorway is missing - fretwork tracery in the lights are replacements, richly moulded mullions, chamfered mid-rail, bead moulded plank and muntin panelling, moulded head rail with mortices to carry loft framing. Octagonal font on new base. Pulpit re-uses panelling possibly from pews, dated 1660 and 1661, with rich geometric and arcadework decoration. Early wood-lined aumbry and piscina in sanctuary, C18 and C19 wall tablets reset at west end. Encaustic floor tiles.
Cadw : Full Report for Listed Buildings [ Records 1 of 1 ]