Scheduled Monuments- Full Report
Summary Description of a Scheduled Monument
Cwrt y Gaer Ringwork
Date of Designation
Summary Description and Reason for Designation
The following provides a general description of the Scheduled Ancient Monument.
The monument comprises the remains of a well preserved castle-ringwork, which dates to the medieval period (c. AD 1066 - 1485). The site consists of a bank and outer ditch, with traces of an outer bank in places. On the E side there is no bank or ditch and the edge of the earthwork has been revetted with a stone garden wall. The SE side of the site is defined by a scarp, 2m high, with a flat-bottomed, water-filled, external ditch 2.5m wide and 0.5m deep. These continue around the S side of the ringwork, where the scarp rises to a steep-sided bank 0.8m high on the inside and 3m high on the outside. On the SW side the bank rises to 3.5m high. Outside the ditch on the SW side is an external bank, 1.5m high on the inside and 0.7m high on the outside, which continues around to the W before petering out. On the N side is a steep scarp 2.5m-3m high with a flat-bottomed, external ditch, 2m wide. The interior of the ringwork is occupied by a house and garden.
The monument is of national importance for its potential to enhance our knowledge of medieval settlement, organisation and defence. The site forms an important element within the wider medieval landscape. It is well preserved and retains considerable archaeological potential. There is a strong probability of the presence of evidence relating to chronology, layout, building techniques and functional detail.
The scheduled area comprises the remains described and areas around them within which related evidence may be expected to survive.
Cadw : Scheduled Monuments- Full Report [ Records 1 of 1 ]