Scheduled Monuments- Full Report


Summary Description of a Scheduled Monument


Reference Number
DE146
Name
Llys Euryn Medieval House, Llandrillo-yn-Rhos  
Date of Designation
 
Status
Designated  

Location


Unitary Authority
Conwy  
Community
Rhos-on-Sea  
Easting
283296  
Northing
380227  

Broad Class
Domestic  
Site Type
House (domestic)  
Period
Medieval  

Description


Summary Description and Reason for Designation
The following provides a general description of the Scheduled Monument. A medieval house dating to the 15th-16th centuries. Walls still standing up to c.4m high and form three sides of a square. On west side chimney opening and stack above. Some other openings with facings still survive. Otherwise fairly ruined. Low internal walls. Substantial ivy grown remains of limestone block walls forming rough square, surviving up to 7m high in the west wall. Open on east side except for low traces of walls, butting on to south wall, and tumbled overgrown remains. South wall has at least three inwardly splayed loop windows, one within thickened section of wall next to small fireplace. West wall has central renovated fireplace with a square chimney stack up to 11m high set at 45 degree angle to wall. Also two first floor and two ground floor loop windows. At south west and north west corners small garderobes set into stepped out west wall. North wall has small (1.9m high and 0.8m wide externally) pointed arch doorway, wider internally, with draw-bar hole. Also one small looped window, one possibly originally larger pointed arch window and splayed opening. The site is of greater antiquity than the ruins. Pennant writes that the house was formerly called Llys Maelgwn Gwynedd, who had a Palace on this spot [6th century]. Nothing more is heard of Llys Euryn [after association in the early 13th century with Ednyfed Fychan], until there is a reference to its having been burnt in 1409 by Owain Glyn Dwr. How much of the existing shell represents Ednyfed's abode is controversial. Experts consider that his Llys would have been of timber construction on a stone foundation. The portion that remains shows that the building was erected in turbulent times. No window is to be traced - only arrow slits. The sole doorway is a postern on the north. Excavations under the west wall revealed a foundation of rough boulders. Poems by Tudur Penllyn and Gutun Owain liken Bryn Euryn to a castle. Mounds in the turf indicate that a considerably larger area was once covered by buildings. Tudur Penllyn claims that Robin [Ap Gruffudd Goch 15th century] gave 'Three hundred pounds for a single tower' and that the walls of this 'white image', this 'white mountain' cost £1000. The monument is of national importance for its potential to enhance our knowledge of medieval settlement and building techniques. It retains significant archaeological potential, with a strong probability of the presence of associated archaeological features and deposits. The structure itself may be expected to contain archaeological information concerning chronology and building techniques. The scheduled area comprises the remains described and areas around them within which related evidence may be expected to survive.  

Cadw : Scheduled Monuments- Full Report [ Records 1 of 1 ]




Export