Scheduled Monuments- Full Report
Summary Description of a Scheduled Monument
Summary Description and Reason for Designation
The following provides a general description of the Scheduled Ancient Monument.
The monument comprises the remains of a well preserved castle-ringwork, which dates to the early part of the medieval period (c. AD 1066 - 1485). The ringwork is roughly circular in plan, measuring 27m N/S and 23m E/W with a discontinuous bank and ditch defining the outer edge of the enclosure. The interior is flat. The bank is steep sided, a maximum of 1m high on the inside and 2.2m high on the outside, and surrounded by a shallow ditch, 0.3m to 0.5m deep. The ditch is intermittent and does not survive on the S or E sides. There is a gap in the bank on the E side which may be the original entrance. At the W end of the site is a stone outcrop at the foot of the bank which is around 3m high. A hollow to the S of the outcrop may be the result of quarrying.
The monument is of national importance for its potential to enhance our knowledge of medieval settlement, organisation and defence. The site forms an important element within the wider medieval landscape. It is well preserved and retains considerable archaeological potential. There is a strong probability of the presence of evidence relating to chronology, layout, building techniques and functional detail.
The scheduled area comprises the remains described and areas around them within which related evidence may be expected to survive.
Cadw : Scheduled Monuments- Full Report [ Records 1 of 1 ]