Full Report for Listed Buildings
Summary Description of a Listed Buildings
Date of Designation
Date of Amendment
Name of Property
Parish Church of St Mary
Situated in large churchyard, with principal approach from Pontycleifion.
Religious, Ritual and Funerary
C12 origins, C15, C18 and C19. Restoration history is unclear, 1702-3 plaque says that 'body of the church' was rebuilt. Engraving in Meyrick (1810) shows nave south windows of early C19 type, yet existing mullion windows look earlier. The C15 chancel roof was already removed by 1810. In 1847 easternmost nave south window was enlarged to design of Mr Waugh; alterations including reseating are recorded in 1855 by H Woodyer, architect; the organ chamber dates from 1877; small ICBS grants are recorded for 1882-6; a restoration occurred in 1904-6 by L Lewis of Cardigan. Then from 1924-7 a further restoration was undertaken under W D Caroe when chancel ceiling was replaced and progressively the chancel was refurnished (reredos and pulpit 1926, lectern 1931).
Parish church in blue lias stone, ashlar for west tower, chancel and organ chamber, rubble for nave. Slate roofs, hipped to chancel east end. West tower, broad aisleless nave with south porch and embattled chancel with north organ chamber and low vestry. Nave is medieval but substantially rebuilt according to plaque in porch in 1702-3. Windows, much renewed in later restorations, are of flat-headed mullioned type with arch-headed lights typical of C17 and south door has post Reformation segmental-pointed head. Another plaque in porch of 1639 may refer to alterations or to a new porch. Present porch is early C20, Gothic, with carved heads of Archbishop Davidson and Bishop Owen. Tower fell in 1705, was rebuilt up to 40 ft in 1711 and completed in 1748, and is large with minimal Gothic detail, single bell-openings and low west door. Big diagonal stepped buttresses to front angles. North east stair tower. Chancel is of exceptional quality for West Wales, C15, Perp. style, with ashlar traceried 3-light windows, 3-bay, buttressed, embattled and pinnacled (most of pinnacles taken down) with north east corner stair. North side has High Victorian organ chamber of 1877, extensively dressed in red brick and low flat-roofed vestry probably of ca 1926. One original window is lost to organ chamber.
Plastered nave with C18 5-sided plastered ceiling. Two sections of corbelling in nave walls and moulded pointed niche, possibly a door-head in north wall. North east rood stair door. Chancel arch C15, blue lias with chamfered piers and moulded arch. Chancel has 2 surviving finely carved stone roof corbels (of 8 illustrated by Meyrick 1810) and 1926 panelled timber ceiling. Fine ogee-headed crocketted piscina. Extensive early to mid C20 pale oak furnishing and 2 stained glass windows, east and south of 1924-5 by Walter Wilkinson. East window preserves some fine fragments of C15 glass, sole survivors of the outstanding medieval glass removed by T Johnes to Hafod and burnt in the 1807 fire. Three 1906 stained glass chancel windows with floral plaques and one nave stained glass window of 1910. Chancel north window of ca 1950. C15 panelled font.
Some marble plaques of late C18 to mid C19 by Wood of Bristol, Phillips of Haverfordwest and W Behnes of London.
Reason for designation
Listed as church founded after 1110 by Gilbert de Clare as Benedictine priory, under Chertsey Abbey, Surrey, first unequivocally recorded in charter of the LordáRhys ca 1165.
Cadw : Full Report for Listed Buildings [ Records 1 of 1 ]