Full Report for Listed Buildings
Summary Description of a Listed Buildings
Date of Designation
Date of Amendment
Name of Property
Church of St Paul
Set back in churchyard near junction with De La Beche Road.
Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Church built for Vivian family in memory of first wife of Henry Hussey Vivian (died 1848); consecrated September 1850; became parish church 1851. By Henry Woodyer, architect; originally consisted of nave, S aisle and tower; dated 1850 on some rainwater heads; S aisle extended by 1896/7 (2nd Ed OS map). Enlargements of 1908, and 1929, include N aisle, chancel and vestry.
Nave, chancel, N and S aisles, tower with broach spire. Grey-brown stone with bathstone dressings, tiled roofs except to spire which has small slates. Tower with slated broach spire, bell-stage in ashlar as is polygonal stair tower to NE; 2-light louvred windows to bell-stage; diagonal buttresses, window, doorway to W has window over. W window of S aisle has 2-light window with flowing tracery. S aisle has shallow stone porch with 2-light window to each side (flowing tracery), broad 4-light window and 2 lancets to R (basement door below); foiled rectangular window to S aisle E gable has dripmould with head stops. In angle between chancel and S aisle, flat roofed vestry in matching materials. Three-light E window with Geometrical tracery; N chancel wall has two trefoil lancets, and 2-light window with Geometrical tracery. E gable of N aisle has upper window with perpendicular tracery (to organ loft), and lower window with Geometrical tracery; N elevation has two lancets, then 3-light window with Geometrical tracery; to each side of N porch, 2-light window with Geometrical tracery. N porch (under repair at time of inspection) has open gable with cusping and exposed collar and tie-beam truss with raking struts to collar; arched entrance flanked by traceried lights, traceried open sides of 5 bays; Gothic entrance doorway to church. W window of N aisle has 2-light window with Perpendicular tracery.
Spacious interior with open arch-braced roof to nave, aisles, chancel. Nave of 5 bays with octagonal piers with ball-flower capitals. Tall tower arch. S aisle windows with good C19 stained glass. SE aisle chapel has Gothic screens and doors and contains Vivian memorials including Gothic recessed tombs, statues and brass tablets; stained glass to trefoil E window. N aisle has war memorial tablet; wooden Gothic screens to NE chapel with organ loft over. Chancel has Gothic choir stalls; sedilia to S wall (corbelled choir loft over); coloured marble reredos; mosaics of Saints John, Mary, Cecilia, and King David. Stained glass to E window. Polygonal wooden pulpit with stone base and stairs. Tiled floors, polished oak pews.
Cadw : Full Report for Listed Buildings [ Records 1 of 1 ]