Full Report for Listed Buildings
Summary Description of a Listed Buildings
Date of Designation
Date of Amendment
Name of Property
Nolton and Roch
Situated in centre of Roch village, on a rocky knoll visible from considerable distances.
Castle, or single peel-tower, first built c1200 by Adam de Rupe or de la Roche, founder of Pill Priory, Milford. The present castle has been dated by G.T. Clark to c1270. Though built for defence, it appears to have been adapted to habitation with freestone windows and fireplaces. The de la Roche estates were broken up in the C15, and the castle was then ruinous. Garrisoned for the royal cause during the Civil War and beseiged in 1644. From 1901-4 restored and made habitable for Sir J. Wynford Philipps Bt of Picton, later Viscount St Davids, to designs of D.E. Thomas of Haverfordwest. Further works carried out in 1910 and c1918-20, the latter by D.F. Ingleton.
G.T. Clark in 1865 found a lower floor possibly a barrack with straight stair past a garderobe to the front door and chapel. The main room was in the square part with large openings to N, E and W. Smaller room to S and then the oratory, a small vaulted chamber 3.2metres x 2.1 metres, occupying the projection from the S face of the tower. Each floor had a fireplace. The door had no portcullis but was raised, perhaps reached by a wooden stair originally.
Castle, rubble stone with some ashlar for early C20 window dressings. Tall single structure of rough D-plan, actually square to N with battlement angle turrets at NE and NW, but at SW curved round to a projecting square taller S tower, and then diagonal SE side linking back to square N end. Earlier C20 service range added to rear N. Sheer three-storey castle with corbelled battlements. C20 flush stone mullioned windows with hoodmoulds and gunmetal casements.
Projecting centre S tower is raised up on a spur of rock and rises sheer to battlements, without corbelling. 2-light mullioned window on each of 3 floors to S, and W side loop two small rectangular windows to successive floors. Chimney on rear N side. E side has 2-light mullion window each floor.
Main W front has SW quadrant curve with deep corbelled embattled parapet stopped at two wall-face chimneys. Then NW square section has short length of lower parapet stepped up again at NE octagonal angle turret. Corbelling is continuous, except slight step down at NW turret. Curved part has two small windows in parapet, and just one roughly central 2-light mullion window facing SE. Straight piece to left has different floor levels to curved part: one 2-light mullion-and-transom window to ground floor, 3-light mullioned window above, and then a smaller 3-light similar window above, all with hoodmoulds. A single blank opening in parapet above.
Main E side has SE part splayed not curved from S projection. Parapet steps down considerably to junction with lower square NE block. Splayed part has one large C20 plate-traceried 2-light pointed window to ground floor, and section of corbelled walling above and to right. An ivy-clad projection returns N to join with flat NE block. Some projecting stones suggest that a curtain wall was intended to run E. NE part has embattled parapet stepped up to octagonal NE corner turret, corbelling stepped down under turret. E side C20 door and 3-light mullioned window above. N side has similar corbelling and battlements between octagonal NW and NE turrets. One first floor 2-light window, the rest obscured by service range.
Early C20 N service range is square, much lower than castle tower, but due to falling ground a full 3 storeys to N, actually a full-height basement and two storeys. Flat corbelled parapets and flat corner turrets slightly raised, echoing castle. W front has outside steps to eroded sandstone ashlar Tudor-arched door with hoodmould to ground floor floor right. 3-light mullion window to ground floor centre and similar, smaller window above. 2-light window to basement left and single light each floor above. N front has basement garage doors and 3-light window to right, similar 3-light to centre of each floor above, each with single-light to right. E side has varied windows, mostly narrow single lights.
Not available for inspection
Reason for designation
An exceptionally well-preserved medieval castle, carefully restored to habitable use.
Cadw : Full Report for Listed Buildings [ Records 1 of 1 ]