Full Report for Listed Buildings
The list description is not intended to be a complete inventory of what is listed: it is principally intended to aid identification. By law, the definition of a listed building includes the entire building (i) and any structure or object that is fixed to the said building and ancillary to it and (ii) any other structure or object that forms part of the land and has done so since before 1 July 1948, and was within the curtilage of the building, and ancillary to it, on the date on which said building was first included in the list, or on 1 January 1969, whichever was later.
Date of Designation
01/07/1974
Date of Amendment
30/11/2005
Name of Property
Former County Gaol
Unitary Authority
Pembrokeshire
Location
Situated to W of the castle ruins on the site of the outer ward.
History
County Record Office, built in 1820 as the County Gaol to the design of J. P. Pritchett of York to replace the former gaol of 1780 that was sited within the inner ward nearby. Closed 1878 and used by the county police force until 1963, when rebuilt as the county museum and record office to design of Gilbert Ray, County Architect. Now used as the record office only.
The original building had a prominent central castellated observation tower rising from the front wall, and the projecting entrance gateway was flanked by the walls of exercise yards.
Exterior
Imposing rectangular block of stone rubble with quoins, voussoirs and dressings in grey limestone. Slate hipped roof. Three-storey, 13-bay range with very small square window openings mostly now blocked, with 1963 ornamental grilles marking sites. Stepped voussoirs and keystones to lower two rows, upper windows under eaves.
S front has original tripartite gateway in squared grey limestone standing forward of main range, now linked back by 1963 additions. The gateway is massive with centre stepped forward, heavy entablature and minimal quarter-round cornice, parapets and flat coping, slightly higher over centre. Similar detail to cornice on band at impost level of big arched centre gateway, with flush stone voussoirs. Right bay has a tall rectangular opening breaking the band, infilled in brown stone in 1963. Set back behind right side of gateway is 1963 triangular blan block with flat roof and archway with double doors and stone voussoirs. To left of gateway is 1974 rubble wall with big decorative concrete roundel with incised radiating lines. The right end of this range has jagged parapet concealing the flat roof.
On north front, canted central projections rising through all storeys with gable over. Large 1960s addition to rear right. Original rear has broad centre gable, similar cell windows but with plainer stone voussoirs to ground and first floors, stone lintels to top floor.
Interior
Interior all of 1963.
Reason for designation
Included for its special historic interest as fabric of a substantial late Georgian prison building with fine gatehouse front.
Cadw : Full Report for Listed Buildings [ Records 1 of 1 ]