Full Report for Listed Buildings
Summary Description of a Listed Buildings
Date of Designation
Date of Amendment
Name of Property
Porth-y-Twr, including Gateway & South Tower
St. David's and the Cathedral Close
Situated at entrance to The Cathedral Close from The Pebbles.
Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Large C14 bell tower with attached, possibly C15, fortified gate. Rubble stone part ruinous, the bell-tower substantially restored 1929 by W D Caroe.
Bell-tower is large two-stage octagonal tower with moulded plinth and moulded course before set-back bell-stage, ruinous and roofless in old photographs but now with corbelled flat parapet. Bell-stage has large pointed openings, originally longer but part-blocked, with hoodmoulds. Lower stage has E side lancet and N side pointed moulded doorway with column shafts and hoodmould. Studded plank doors. SE stair tower projecting slightly on upper stage and rising to restored octagonal turret. S side obscured by attached gateway.
Gateway and S tower added to S in rougher rubble stone with corbel table below former battlements, now ruinous. Rounded S end with higher corbel table. E front has big segmental pointed arch over roadway, small blocked doorway to right with loop over. To right, without break in walling, S tower with one high window, rounded S end with Close Wall attached to SW; W front window at upper level and lower large pointed light to left, just before change in level of corbel table. To left, segmental-pointed large arch over roadway, and above, to left a small window robbed of ashlar.
Southern range is roofless, but within gateway, two portcullis slots and double archway on N side, robbed of ashlar, giving access to half-round recess with narrow round-headed doorway. South side has round headed narrow doorway. Studded plank doors with iron strap hinges to both doorways.
Reason for designation
Cadw : Full Report for Listed Buildings [ Records 1 of 1 ]