Full Report for Listed Buildings
Summary Description of a Listed Buildings
Date of Designation
Date of Amendment
Name of Property
The Bishop's Palace
St. David's and the Cathedral Close
Situated W of the Cathedral on the opposite bank of the River Alun.
Religious, Ritual and Funerary
C12 to C16 bishop's palace, outstanding among the episcopal palaces of Britain, started about 1200 and substantially built under Bishop Bek (1280-96) and Bishop Gower (1328-47). The ruination of the palace began with the stripping of the lead from the Great Hall under Bishop Barlow (1536-48) and the whole is now roofless.
A single large quadrangle with the principal buildings towards the S side, though the earliest surviving work is probably the NE enclosure wall and NW range. Entrance by plain late C13 gatehouse at left end of NE wall, with supposed private chapel of mid C14 adjoining, raised on vaulted undercroft. Late C13 Bishop's Hall on E side with the arcaded parapets associated with Bishop Gower's work (Lamphey Palace, Swansea Castle and Gower's Great Hall here). Carved gateway up broad flight of steps with semi-octagonal head characteristic of Gower's work and related to Bristol school. To N of Bishop's Hall is the solar, late C13, and to the S the kitchen, late C14. On S side is the great hall, mid C14, with striking ogee headed doorway, reached by broad flight of steps, long lancet windows and fine E end rose window. Arcaded parapet with varicoloured voussoirs. Late C14 bishop's chapel at W end with W bell turret. Domestic buildings and stables probably occupied W side of quadrangle. Late C15 or C16 wing SE of solar.
Scheduled Ancient Monument Pe 6.
Reason for designation
Cadw : Full Report for Listed Buildings [ Records 1 of 1 ]