Full Report for Listed Buildings
Summary Description of a Listed Buildings
Date of Designation
Date of Amendment
Name of Property
Ruins of St Justinian's Chapel
St. David's and the Cathedral Close
Situated in the grounds of Saint Justinian's, some 60m E of house.
Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Early C16, ruins of chapel on supposed burial site of Saint Justinian, reputedly rebuilt by Bishop Vaughan (1509-22) but very probably including earlier work.
Chapel is reputedly the burial place of Saint Justinian, Breton contemporary of Saint David, martyred by jealous monks on Ramsey Island.
Rubble stone, roofless, walls standing some 4m high. Rectanhular plan some 12m by 5m with variuos openings robbed of their ashlar fromas. Corbel table all around, interrupted by head of E window. Early descriptions suggest battlements, gables and a small battlemented tower, all gone now. Three windows each side of varied sizes and two doors on N. W end door, E end window apparently segment-headed.
Segment-headed arcading on each side, not matching, evidence of a chancel division from rood-beams and single step up. Traces of piscina and aumbry recess in chancel and broad " end segmental-pointed blank arch. SW angle had stair.
Cadw : Full Report for Listed Buildings [ Records 1 of 1 ]