Full Report for Listed Buildings
Summary Description of a Listed Buildings
Date of Designation
Date of Amendment
Name of Property
Situated in a wood overlooking the Wepre Brook.
History: A native Welsh castle, small in scale, though occupying a commanding site at the confluence of 2 streams and with a steep drop to the N. The "Welsh Tower" is early C13 and may be the work of LLewellyn ab Iorweth (The Great). The remaining buildings post-date the Welsh recapture of the area from the English in the late 1250s, and were probably built by Llewellyn ap Gruffydd (The Last). Now largely ruinous.
Description: The castle is overlooked by higher ground to the S and this side is therefore the focus of the defences. Large ditches to this and the E sides. The castle is in 2 sections, with a large D-shaped keep known as the "Welsh Tower" in a walled upper ward at the E. This was of 2 floors plus basement. One first-floor lancet, originally lighting the hall survives to the S. The lower ward is dominated by a 2-storey circular tower to the W, and the whole is encircled by the remains of a curtain wall, originally about 15ft high. Within this there were entrances to both wards from the N. At the N/E corner a bridge originally gave access over the eathworks, the evidence for which is still visible.
An important indigenous castle from the period of the Welsh conquest by the English.
Scheduled Ancient Monument F2.
References: RCAHMW, Vol.II, Flintshire, 1912, 37-9
Hubbard, Clwyd, 344-5
Cadw : Full Report for Listed Buildings [ Records 1 of 1 ]