Plan: Castle comprises a NE gatehouse with flanking towers, incorporated into the 1859 house, the NW Hunters' Tower, still partly standing to full height, SW Kitchen Tower, largely disappeared, and NE Great Tower of which the ground floor survives with open courtyard and fine ashlar pointed entry. The various curtain walls are largely ruinous, but N of the Great Tower survives the basement of a substantial building, possibly chapel, with vaulted undercroft of 4 cells on central octagonal pier. For full archaeological report, see National Monuments Record, Aberystwyth.
Exterior: House itself is built into back of gatehouse tower with main C19 front to S. 2 storey and basement 3 window front with slate eaves roof, crested ridge, ridge stack of 3 stone circular shafts and very large W end round stack with chimneybreast built up from original curtain wall. Windows are unevenly spread, the upper windows cambered-headed square sashes with marginal glazing bars, stone voussoirs and slate sills, the centre window slightly higher and under an eaves gable. Ground floor has one longer similar sash aligned under first floor right window, gabled stone porch to right and hipped-roofed timber square bay window to left, aligned between centre and left windows above. Porch has pointed arch, slated eaves roof and crested ridge tiles. Bay window has French windows to front. Basement has cambered headed casement. To right of house a lean-to roof abuts a square medieval tower, the rear of the E side of the gatehouse structure; the roof appears to be a post 1859 addition built over the vaulted medieval stairs down to the gatehouse passage. C19 pointed arched porch with flat roof.
House is L-plan and 3-storeys on N side, where windows are pierced through medieval masonry. Original gatehouse was of 2 round towers flanking entry, but that to E has been rebuilt flat-fronted, having collapsed in early C19, with 2 lancets and picturesquely ruinous top. Central part, site of former entry is largely rebuilt, with three C19 cambered-headed casement windows, vertically aligned and corbelled embattled parapet. West tower retains its original rounded form on battered base, 3 stages each slightly recessed then corbel table and ruinous octagonal cap. C19 arched light to basement front and first floor NE. W return of gatehouse tower has two C19 arched lights to basement, big first floor timber 3-light window with transom and stone cambered head, and casement pair above under stone eaves gable. Rear of main front range is built out from curtain wall with basement triple casement, first floor big timber oriel on wooden brackets, with hipped slate roof and 3-light gabled half-timbered dormer in roof. W end wall has ground floor timber cross-window and casement pair above. Blank shield plaque in gable.