Full Report for Listed Buildings
Summary Description of a Listed Buildings
Date of Designation
Date of Amendment
Name of Property
Medieval Cross and associated Slab in the Churchyard of the Church of St Donat
Vale of Glamorgan
On the south side of the church and about 10m from it.
Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Medieval churchyard cross, probably later C15 in origin and seemingly wholly of medieval parts except for the base step and its lip. The cross was restored in c1928 but this could have involved its complete reconstruction with possibly the loss of at least one step. The recusant Stradlings would have protected it from demolition during the Reformation and even later when Cromwell is said to have visited the castle. It has also been suggested that the cross might be the one that was removed from in front of the castle by Dr. Nicholl-Carne between 1862 and 1877, but an apparently early C19 print in the church guidebook seems to show the cross in the churchyard at that time.
Fine Sutton and Querella sandstone with local lias limestone for the steps. Tapering octagonal shaft in square socketstone with broach stops at the angles. This is carried on square base which at the top has stops at the angles and a chamfer; two square steps below this, the lower one with a pronounced lip. The shaft bears an octagonal knop and a canopied head of limestone with a representation of the Crucifixion on one side and, on the other, of the Madonna and Child.
On the ground close to the medieval cross there is a medieval stone slab with incised crosses.
Reason for designation
Included and highly graded for its special interest as a complete medieval cross with a rare medieval gravestone beside it.
Cadw : Full Report for Listed Buildings [ Records 1 of 1 ]