Full Report for Listed Buildings
Summary Description of a Listed Buildings
Date of Designation
Date of Amendment
Name of Property
Remains of Cwrt-y-vil Grange (generally known as Cwrt-y-Vil Castle)
Vale of Glamorgan
In garden of No 2 Castle Avenue, to N of house.
Circa 1180 Osbert of Pennard granted land to Augustinian canons from St Augustine's abbey Bristol who established a grange (monastic manor) at Penarth. When St Augustine's became cathedral following Dissolution of Monasteries farm became property of Cathedral chapter.
Remains consist of shell of barn range with attached room to W, aligned roughly E-W, into which have been inserted C20 garages and outhouses (replacing C19 stables). S wall and S half of W wall have been lost. Random rubble walls (occasionally coursed) stand up to 2m high, with putlog holes. There is a splayed slit window in the E wall and blocked doorway to N wall of W room. NE corner of W room has beginnings of corbelling.
Length of range approx 24m by 7m with a cross wall approx 5m from W end.
Modern house not included in list.
Cadw : Full Report for Listed Buildings [ Records 1 of 1 ]