Full Report for Listed Buildings
Summary Description of a Listed Buildings
Date of Designation
Date of Amendment
Name of Property
Set in a wooded hillside location overlooking its own parkland and the eastern end of the vale of Llangollen.
Originally a seat of the Trevor family, it passed to the Lloyds by marriage c1715 and was largely rebuilt 1742-43 on the marriage of Mary and John Lloyd (Pentrehobin). Dated '1742 J Ll' on rainwater head to main front - datestone with 'AD 1742' plus initials 'JL and JM' on E side; the panel is signed 'John Roberts mason'. The hall chimney-piece is dated '1743'. Stylistic evidence suggests that Richard Trubshaw of Haywood, Staffordshire, who did work elsewhere in north-eastern Wales, was involved in the design of the house. Later alterations include extensions to the W side c1800, and rear improvements c1870, during the tenancy of J C Edwards of Ruabon brick and terra-cotta fame. The house was damaged by fire in 1963 but was entirely restored c1990-92 and provided with a new hipped roof (replacing a flat roof with modern parapets).
Early Georgian red-brick (symmetrical) facade with pale ashlared stone dressings; rubble stonework to sides and ashlar to rear, where earlier fabric has been retained; NE rear projection rendered later. 5-bay 3-storey plus semi-basement entrance front flanked by 2-bay forward projecting wings, plus 1-bay extension to far left. Flemish bond to brickwork facings, ashlared stone basement and fine droved detailing to ashlar dressings. Modern hipped Ffestiniog slate roof, tall (rebuilt) brick stacks to left and right, bell-housing against inner right stack. Deep moulded eaves cornice (except to left extension bay) with plain band to entablature, long and short quoins unconnected to storey string-courses. Keyblocked window openings with gauged brick lintels and moulded stone sills; wide ashlar architrave to first-floor centre window. 12-pane sashes in flush timber frames to centre and right-hand bays, thin glazing bars to left-hand bays with dropped sills; 6-pane windows to top floor; single-light openings to central basement and 2-light stone mullioned opening to basement of west wing. Very fine rainwater head dated 1742 to upper right. Central pedimented ashlar doorcase (breaking string-course) reached up double stone stairs with iron handrail; 6-panel door.
Rubble left side elevation with squared quoins and two projecting chimney breasts; rear portion steps inwards behind left extension bay. Mullioned and transomed windows to centre with smaller openings (one blocked) below. 4-window right side elevation, coursed masonry with string courses; 1742 date panel through string course to left; later masonry to right of elevation. 2-light timber mullioned windows under segmental heads (one blocked to left).
Less regular rear elevation with full height windows and no basement. Rendered extension to NE corner. Rough ashlar work with string courses and chimney breast to centre, timber cross windows under segmental heads. NW wing incorporates earlier fabric with 2-light stone mullion-and-transom windows; door in angle.
Single-pile plan-form survives with central entrance hall, opening left to staircase and doorway right to rear linking corridor. These arrangements possibly reflect a sub-medieval H-plan layout. Entrance hall with remarkable (stylistically mixed) cut-stone chimney-piece on rear wall: open segmental pediment clasps the Lloyd/Trevor arms with panel dated 1743 supported by volutes, urn finials to angles above male/female busts on moulded brackets with volutes under. Scallop motif to architrave of fire surround. Wide archway to left of hall leads to C18 cantilevered dog-leg staircase (mostly renewed) with timber treads, carved ends, triple turned balusters and Ionic newels to handrail, and panelled dados swept up to fluted Ionic pilasters; detailing to upper flight is simpler. Rest of hall fittings include panelled dado, shutters and moulded architraves etc. Plaster ceiling in three bays divided by wide plastered beams. Panelled parlour (with small dining room beyond) to right of hall. Keyblocked arch to rear passage leading to kitchen with keyblocked, segmental arch to original chimney opening. Good quality detailing remains in other (reinstated) public rooms. Arched entries to rear passageway on first floor with swagged frieze. Vaulted cellars with flagged wine store and fine studded oak door to rear entrance.
Reason for designation
Grade I for its scarcity in Wales as an early Georgian brick house, retaining many original and renewed period features, and for its importance in its outstanding landscape.
Cadw : Full Report for Listed Buildings [ Records 1 of 1 ]