Full Report for Listed Buildings
Summary Description of a Listed Buildings
Date of Designation
Date of Amendment
Name of Property
Tabernacle Chapel including attached Hall and forecourt railings
To L of David Morgan department store.
Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Original chapel of 1821 was enlarged in 1840s. Present building dated 1865 on facade; probably rebuilt 1862 and reconstructed and extended 1865 (see J B Hilling). Architect for 1865 work; J Hartland and Son of Cardiff, cost £3000. The 4 upper windows are asymmetrically placed seen from interior of chapel, and N stair tower projects beyond body of chapel, indicating present appearance a result of remodelling rather than new build. Small graveyard to rear.
Chapel. Painted stucco. Classicising front of 2 storeys. Crowning entablature and parapet with inscription "Tabernacle", "Built 1821", "Rebuilt 1865". Group of 4 round-headed windows to recessed centre of upper part; balustrade between projecting end stair towers with windows enclosed in pedimented architraves. On ground floor, 4 round-headed doorways to centre; to ends blind round-headed windows enclosed by channelled rustication.
To R, set back, lower 2-storey vestry/schoolroom block in similar style and materials. Hipped slate roof behind parapet. Three round-headed windows with keystones to top floor; on ground floor, central with round-headed doorway and rusticated pilasters; window to each side.
Forecourt defined by iron railings with gates to centre (gatepiers with acorn finials) and both ends.
Shallow lobby with wood and glass screen to inner lobby in body of chapel, with similar screen. Lobby has doorways to stair towers. Body of chapel has flat coffered ceiling with large fretted metal rose. Gallery to all 4 sides with fretted metal balustrade, on iron columns with floral capitals. Broad arch to rear organ recess, below which is wooden pulpit, and set fawr enclosure with wrought iron balustrade. Wooden pews. Early C20 stained glass to side windows (Virtues), and 2 of front windows, (Baptism of Christ and Last Supper).
Reason for designation
Graded II* as ambitious chapel in Italianate style, with particularly fine interior, by one of best of mid C19 chapel architects in Cardiff. Group value with neighbouring listed buildings in The Hayes.
Cadw : Full Report for Listed Buildings [ Records 1 of 1 ]