Full Report for Listed Buildings
Summary Description of a Listed Buildings
Date of Designation
Date of Amendment
Name of Property
Former Stable Block at Faendre Hall
Situated to the rear of the Hall, the drive bifurcating with one section leading to the stables and the other to the Hall.
Probably contemporary with the Hall built 1850. The stables and coach-house are modest in size but the architectural flourishes and in particular high copings and extensive frontage make them appear grander.
Stable block in Gothic Revival style. Built of stone rubble with ashlar dressings and Welsh slate roofs with high copings and apex finials. Asymmetrical frontage of two main linked wings fronting stable-tiled yard, with lower wing to left entered from kitchen garden. Stable wing to left has wide central bay with shaped gable incorporating at first floor a boarded shaped hayloft opening and below a chamfered Tudor-arched doorway with boarded door flanked by chamfered rectangular lights; metal armatures incorporate opening casements, glazing lost; to left paired lights; similar to right but these light a separately roofed linking bay to the coach-house range. This comprises two gabled bays of different design with wide 4-centred arched openings; the wider is to left with ventilation slit above; that to right, slightly stepped back, has a cartouche above; both retain boarded doors, that to right with overlight. Attached and stepped down to left is a garden wing with hipped roof and ventilator and brick segmental arched entrance; from this extends a stone wall with brick coping enclosing the garden to rear of the house.
Interior of coach-house retains plastered ceiling and flag floor.
Reason for designation
Listed as an integral part of the Faendre Hall park; group value with other listed items here.
Cadw : Full Report for Listed Buildings [ Records 1 of 1 ]