Full Report for Listed Buildings
Summary Description of a Listed Buildings
Date of Designation
Date of Amendment
Name of Property
NO 33, RUSSELL ROAD (N SIDE),,,,,CLWYD,
Built according to plans submitted to Rhyl Improvement Commissioners in 1876, as a pair of villas. Now in use as offices.
Roughcast render and slate roofs with scalloped bands and tiled cresting. Two storeys with attic, 6-window range symmetrically designed with slightly advanced outer gables. These have stressed quoins, and rectangular bay windows to ground floor, divided as tripartite sashes by pilasters. Heavy cornice carries cast-iron brattishing. Paired first floor windows (4-pane sashes) with stilted arched moulded heads. Broad sill and impost bands continue across facade to similar windows in central range, which are grouped as 2 central pairs, with single windows over the doorways. Console brackets to moulding over round-arched doorways with fanlights; central ground-floor windows are tripartite sashes set in moulded architraves with keystones. Round-arched attic windows with deep hoodmoulds in apex of gables, which have scalloped bargeboards and finials. Return elevation to Church Street is similarly fenestrated, with a rectangular bay window to the left.
Reason for designation
A good example of the type of villa development characteristic of this part of Rhyl in this period, which forms part of an important group of buildings around the Church of the Holy Trinity and the Church of Saint Thomas.
Cadw : Full Report for Listed Buildings [ Records 1 of 1 ]