Full Report for Listed Buildings
Summary Description of a Listed Buildings
Date of Designation
Date of Amendment
Name of Property
At the western end of the village, next to the gates which formerly led to the drive to Bryn-y-Pys Hall.
Built for the Bryn-y-Pys estate, designed by Joyn Douglas of Chester, and dated 1875. The former mansion of Bryn-y-Pys, was built in the mid C18, but the estate appears to have been considerably developed from c1850, when it was purchased by Edmund Peel. John Douglas also prepared plans for the remodelling of the house, but these were near executed.
Coursed and squared stone with plain tiled roof with scalloped bands. One and a half storeys, 2-window range, with lean-to porch and outshut projecting from southern elevation. Doorway to left of this elevation, in porch formed at the end of the outshut, the roof carried on a corner pillar. Dated with initials ‘EP’ in the wall over the porch. Leaded mullioned windows of 3 and 4-lights in the gable end to the west, contained in a projecting full height bay, roofed as an extension of the main roof-line. 2-light mullioned window in outshut which extends the line of the porch, and a similar window in the main range beyond. Coved plaster eaves cornice, bargeboards with pendant finials and axial stack.
Reason for designation
Listed as a good example of late C19 estate architecture by John Douglas.
Cadw : Full Report for Listed Buildings [ Records 1 of 1 ]