Full Report for Listed Buildings
Summary Description of a Listed Buildings
Date of Designation
Date of Amendment
Name of Property
Set back from the road between Nos 15 and 27 Russell Road, almost opposite Holy Trinity Church.
A deed of sale for the property suggests that it was in existence before 1820, and this area of Rhyl was being sold for development between c1807 and 1827; but any earlier building had been extensively remodelled in the mid C19. Although built as a private villa, it was advertised as a lodging house by 1852. It is now used as a restaurant.
Description: Lined-out render over squared rubble and brick, slate roof with end wall and axial stacks. Two storeys, symmetrically planned with central entrance flanked by very slightly advanced wide gables. Shallow gabled entrance porch with renewed bargeboards, and 3-light mullioned leaded windows on each floor in outer gables with drop-ended hood moulds; added canted bay window in left-hand gable, cut through to form French doors. Bargeboards of gables have recessed trefoiled panelled decoration, and finials, and the oversailing eaves are carried on moulded brackets.
Reason for designation
A good example of the kind of private villa that characterised the early development of Rhyl as a resort, one of the earliest such houses to survive in the town.
Cadw : Full Report for Listed Buildings [ Records 1 of 1 ]