Full Report for Listed Buildings
Summary Description of a Listed Buildings
Date of Designation
Date of Amendment
Name of Property
Church of Saint Michael and All Angels
Orientated south west/north east in rubble-walled subcircular churchyard in village centre.
Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Rebuilding of 1853 in Decorated style by Thomas Nicholson, architect of Hereford. The lower stages of the tower are earlier, perhaps C14, the clock stage was added in 1894. The renowned diarist, ReváFrancisáKilvert was curate of this church from 1865 to 1872. There are numerous references to this church in Kilvert's Diary, and it is during his Clyro years that the most highly regarded volumes of his Diary were written.
Nave, north aisle, chancel, west tower, south porch, lean-to vestry on north side of chancel. Rubble with freestone dressings, slate roofs. Unbuttressed tower with plinth and slight batter. Battlemented top stage with clock. At the base on the west side is a small ogee headed light. Nave and aisle have 2-light cusped windows and west end of aisle has flamboyant traceried window.
In the churchyard numerous chest tombs and headstones and the village war memorial. On the east side a lychgate.
Simply detailed interior with plastered walls. Tall pointed chancel arch with painted inscription around it. Arcade of four bays with octagonal piers and richly moulded capitals to north aisle. Brattished wall plate, exposed slender common rafter roof with two collars and diagonal braces. Ogee headed door to west tower. In chancel window embrasure an early piscina with ogee panelled back formed from two large stone blocks. Tiled floor. In the nave the numbered low box pews with doors of 1853 are retained. Other C19 fittings include altar back, panelled pulpit up stone steps, octagonal font with Decorated ornament. Five bells recast in 1887. Stained glass in chancel, also to a window in the west wall inserted in 1889 to block the former singing gallery. Wall monuments to Venables and Beaven families and another to ReváFrancisáKilvert in the north aisle.
Reason for designation
Grade II* primarily for exceptional historic interest associated with Rev Francis Kilvert.
Cadw : Full Report for Listed Buildings [ Records 1 of 1 ]