Full Report for Listed Buildings
Summary Description of a Listed Buildings
Date of Designation
Date of Amendment
Name of Property
St Peter's Church
Situated at the bottom of Church Road, on the south side, set back behind railings.
Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Built in 1804 by Thomas Hill and Samuel Hopkins, ironmasters and co-partners, at the Blaenavon Works. Thomas Hill's remains are in a vault adjoining the Church.
Neo-gothic style, built in coursed quarry-faced stone with dressed stone heads to the pointed arched openings; slate roofs. 4-storey west tower has band courses, battlemented parapet and a pyramidal spire. Louvered belfry openings and the west face has ocular window over a modern UPVC window. North and south doorways and 4-windows to the main body of the nave on both sides; Y-shaped glazing bars to the heads over 6-square-panes. 2-window chancel and iron-framed east end window with crucifix finial to gable parapet. Vestry lean-to to north side with pointed-arched door and window to west.
Aisled nave with gallery carried on cast-iron pillars. Decorative wooden panelled ceiling. In the baptistry towards the west end of the church is the original cast iron font designed to resemble stone. In the vestibule, wooden stairs lead to galleries. Wooden pews retained throughout.
Reason for designation
Graded II* for the importance of its historical associations with the early ironworks community at Blaenavon.
Cadw : Full Report for Listed Buildings [ Records 1 of 1 ]