Full Report for Listed Buildings
Summary Description of a Listed Buildings
Date of Designation
Date of Amendment
Name of Property
Church of St Mary, including churchyard walls and lych gate
Situated in the church yard which is between Bridge Street and Church Street.
Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Recorded in 1253, the church in Ruabon was then dedicated to St Collen. C14 W tower, some perpendicular work. SE chapel of 1755, NE Chapel of 1769. Remodelled by T F Pritchard, architect of Shrewsbury, 1769-70 and substantially rebuilt 1870-2 by Benjamin Ferrey, architect of London for Sir Watkin Williams-Wynn, 6th Brt. of Wynnstay Hall, Nave arcade, clerestorey, aisles and most windows date from this phase.
Sandstone rubble and ashlar, slate roof. 4-stage C14 tower with diagonal buttresses, C14 arched W door and 3-light window above. C14 2-light bell openings in 3rd stage; embattled parapet and stair tower in NE angle. Gabled aisles, clerestoried nave, C19 S porch. At E end crocketted perpendicular buttresses, C18 masonry. Blocked window at E end of N aisle with Gibbs surround. Most windows C19 perpendicular style, some original perpendicular tracery W aisle windows. The tower has been refaced, S wall exhibits at least 2 phases of medieval work with a blocked C13 doorway to E of the C19 porch.
Lychgate at SE corner of churchyard which is bordered to S by rubble wall.
C19 nave arcade of 5 bays with alternating octagonal and circular piers, C19 timber roof. C19 clerestorey windows with alternating square and arched heads. Shallow chancel with 2 C16 cusped niches in E wall, C18 chapels on each side of chancel. C15 wall painting on S wall restored 1870: the Works of Mercy with texts in Welsh.
Furnishings: free standing font at W end; small marble bowl, wooden tripod by Robert Adam, given by Williams-Wynn family in 1772. Mid C18 pulpit N side of chancel arch with hexagonal stem and lively carving, altered. Altar rails 1845, stained glass mainly by Ward & Hughes, N aisle W by Gibbs.
Monuments: those by Nollekens, Rysbrack and attributed to Adam are of the highest national standard for the period. C15 tomb chest also of high standard. N chapel: John Ap Ellis Eyton and his wife Elizabeth, d.1526; alabaster tomb chest with 2 recumbent effigies and angel weepers, vigorous and well-detailed. Henry Wynn, 1719, wall monument with 3 life-size figures, pilasters and drapery by Robert Wynne of Ruthin. W end S Lady Henrietta Williams-Wynn, 1773, free standing life-size figure of Hope with an anchor by Nollekens. S chapel Sir Watkin Williams-Wynn, reclining effigy, sarcophagus, pyramid and angel holding a medallion by Rysbrack 1751-4; William Watkin Williams-Wynn, d.1763, oval wall medallion with sarcophagus attributed to Robert Adam. Other monuments chiefly of C18 and C19 date.
Reason for designation
Listed Grade I as a church with some medieval elements, with furnishings of interest and for the important group of mounuments.
Group value with listed buildings on High Street and Church Street.
Cadw : Full Report for Listed Buildings [ Records 1 of 1 ]