Full Report for Listed Buildings
Summary Description of a Listed Buildings
Date of Designation
Date of Amendment
Name of Property
Gate to Fountain Garden
At the lower (E) end of the Fountain Garden, opening from the garden onto the main drive to the NE of the castle.
History: Violet, Lady Powis redesigned the former kitchen gardens from 1911, and commissioned the gate from G.F.Bodley, as a gift to her husband, the Fourth Earl, in 1912. It is a replica of the early C18 gate shown in a print of The Powis London residence, Powis House, Great Ormond Street.
Description: Ashlar piers with moulded panels and heavy moulded caps flank a pair of iron gates (cast, with some wrought iron decoration). The gates, with their overthrow, are richly ornamented with scroll-work, incorporating the Herbert Arms. The piers were originally surmounted by lead wyverns (missing at time of resurvey, May 1995).
A fine example of C20 iron work, and a highly significant component of the early C20 garden layout at Powis, both for the visual contribution to the garden and for their historical references.
Reference: National Trust, Powis Castle, 1988, p.44-5.
Cadw : Full Report for Listed Buildings [ Records 1 of 1 ]