Full Report for Listed Buildings
Summary Description of a Listed Buildings
Date of Designation
Date of Amendment
Name of Property
St. Govan's Well
Stackpole and Castlemartin
Water Supply and Drainage
About 25 m S of St Govan's chapel, reached by a flight of rough steps.
Famous together with St Govan's chapel for cures of lameness and eye disease. It was fed by a spring but had been dry for many years when described in 1925.
The well itself is a short shaft about 0.7 by 0.8 m. Wellhead building approximately square with an opening to the N side spanned by a stone lintel. Rough corbelled top sloping to S, E and W but rising to a rounded gable at N, very much restored.
Also a boulder retaining-wall at N side of the well.
Listed for historic interest and group value with St Govan's Chapel.
References: RCAHM Inventory (1925) 22
Fenton, Historical Tour through Pembrokeshire 181 1 ( 1903 ed) 415.
F Jones, The Holy Wells of Wales ( 19 4) 208
Dyfed Arch. Trust S&M PRN 1268
Cadw : Full Report for Listed Buildings [ Records 1 of 1 ]