Full Report for Listed Buildings
Summary Description of a Listed Buildings
Date of Designation
Date of Amendment
Name of Property
Former Co-operative Wholesale Society Building
The building stands prominently S of the centre of Ogmore Vale, and backing on to Glyn Street.
The building was erected c.1910 by the Co-operative Wholesale Society as a local department store serving the Ogmore Valley. The ground floor contained a grocery shop, and the 'Co-op Shop' where payment was made, whilst the upper floor was for haberdashery, drapery and millinery. The shop closed c.1977.
Built of coursed rock-faced stone with a slate roof. Three storeys, the elevation facing the street being of 4 bays, two central bays with plate glass windows to the first floor, separated by a wooden Ionic pilaster, the upper part having coloured glass in leaded lights, and at the centre of each, a circular pivot-hung vent. Above, a fascia has DRAPERY AND MILLINERY in Arts and Crafts lettering against a roughened background. Dentilled cornice. The top floor has two simple rectangular openings and projecting eaves. The two narrower end bays have flanking pilasters and rise above the eaves to a small gable. Similar window on the first floor but a circular window with an aproned architrave and exaggerated keystone to the attic floor. On the ground floor, channel rusticated piers, the left bay retaining a segmental arched opening, now blocked. The ground floor elevation of the 3 southern bays has been altered.
Reason for designation
Included, despite alterations to the ground floor shopfront, as a well-detailed commercial building for the Co-operative Society; which played a major role in the development of the valleys, and of interest for its Arts & Crafts influence.
Cadw : Full Report for Listed Buildings [ Records 1 of 1 ]