Full Report for Listed Buildings
Summary Description of a Listed Buildings
Date of Designation
Date of Amendment
Name of Property
Lion on W side of the N entrance to Britannia Bridge
Isle of Anglesey
The lion is mounted high above the original rail approach to the bridge.
One of four, one pair located on the mainland and one on the Anglesey side, flanking each entrance to the bridge. Designed by the Victorian sculptor John Thomas, who designed carvings for the new Houses of Parliament (1835-52), and erected prior to the opening of the bridge in 1850. Each lion cost £1,024.
Large sculpture of a lion couchant,25ft 6in (7.77m) long and 12ft 8in (3.86m) high; carved in a bold Egyptian style and built from 11 pieces of Penmon limestone. Facing S, the lion surmounts an ashlar limestone plinth which in turn surmounts a plinth of rock-faced sandstone.
Reason for designation
Included as an important element in the design of the bridge, one of four, a pair with the lion on the E side of the N entrance and of group value with the bridge.
Cadw : Full Report for Listed Buildings [ Records 1 of 1 ]