The Cistercian abbey of Valle Crucis was founded in 1201 by Madog ap Gruffudd, king of Powys Fadog, with 13 monks from Strata Florida abbey, near Welshpool, which was a daughter house of Whitland, the earliest Cistercian house established in Wales, itself a direct offspring of Citeaux. The name is taken from the Cross of Eliseg a short distance to the N. It suffered severely during the Edwardian Wars, 1272-1307, but became a centre of Welsh literary activity, the continuation of the Brut y Twysogynon was probably written here. A further period of flourishing scholasticism took place in the later C15 when a number of famous bards, among them Guto'r Glyn, and Lewis Mon, and including Gutun Owain (fl 1450-1498) who wrote in praise of the splendour of the architecture and the table kept there, are associated with the house. An englyn by Owain Gwynedd of the late C16, describes the house in ruins. The buildings are laid out on a modified Cistercian standard plan with the cruciform church, the cloister on the S, and the frater at right angles to the S claustral range, which was rebuilt in late C14. The convent was dissolved under the 1536 Act of Suppression, and was disbanded by January 1537. The property passed through the hands of Sir William Pickering, Sir Edward Wootton and others until it was brought into the Coed Helen Estate. It became popular in the Romantic Movement, being drawn by the brothers Buck, 1742, painted by Turner, c1794/5, by Sandby, late C18, Varley, c1800, Cotman 1810, Gastineau and others, and visited by Thomas Pennant in 1773. The W end of the church was repaired by Sir George Gilbert Scott in 1872.