Full Report for Listed Buildings
Summary Description of a Listed Buildings
Date of Designation
Date of Amendment
Name of Property
Church of St Nefydd and St Mary
Prominently-located in the centre of the village within a raised and walled churchyard.
Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Medieval parish church on an earlier site; this is represented by the evidence of a raised Celtic Llan, still discernable as the present churchyard enclosure. The church is of twin-aisled type, its chancel on the S side, and appears to be a substantial Perpendicular rebuilding of c1500, although its first mention is in 1291. The church underwent restoration in 1859, at a cost of £636.17s 2d (£636.86p), and was further restored by the architect Harold Hughes between 1908-9; this second restoration cost £1,124.8s.11/2d (£1,124.41p).
Large double-naved Perpendicular parish church constructed of roughly-squared local limestone blocks, the southern chamber with rubble plinth; mostly original sandstone dressings. Renewed slate roofs with slab-coped gable parapets, curved kneelers and gable crosses to the E; the outer wall plates are expressed on both S and N sides. The S chamber has a gabled S porch (apparently C19) with a large pointed-arched entrance with C20 wire bird door. The inner entrance is late medieval and has irregularly-sized rough-dressed limestone quoins and lintel; contemporary oak door with cradelling to rear and applied early-C20 boarding to the front. Both E and W sides have sections of C16 or C17 sandstone tomb plaques incorporated into the masonry, the former also with a blind, chamfered slit-light (similarly reused). To the L is a 2-light original Perpendicular window with Tudor arch, deep, hollow-chamfered reveals and cusped heads; returned label. To the R of the porch are two contemporary 3-light windows, as before, though with renewed labels. Between the two is a blocked late medieval priests' door with pointed arch and rough-dressed limestone quoins and lintel. The N side has two further, similar 2-light windows, that to the W with renewed mullion; E of these is a large 3-light window, as before. The W gable of the S chamber has a large twin-arched bellcote, probably a mid C19 replacement of the new bellcote mentioned in 1799. It has a coped and kneelered gable, the bell-openings with round-arched heads. The N chamber has a pointed-arched W door (again mid C19) with boarded door; to the L is a modern external boiler chimney. The E ends of both N and S chambers have similar large E windows. These are fine pointed-arched Perpendicular windows, each of 5 lights with complex tracery upper sections; returned labels with carved foliate and head stops.
Spacious twin-chambered interior with continous nave and chancel areas. Each chamber has a fine 8-bay c1500 arched-braced collar truss roof with cusped quatrefoil and trefoil truss apexes and two tiers of double-cusped windbraces. c1908 parquet floor with raised chancel areas, stone-flagged, with that to the S having quarry insets; simple oak pews. Five-bay pointed-arched arcade with octagonal columns with moulded abaci and splayed bases. The S aisle has a plain octagonal limestone font on a sandstone column base; the basin is inscribed: 'EW, HLL Ch. War 1668'. To the L of the S door is a C17 or C18 oak poorbox, with wrought-iron lock and iron banding. Arts and Crafts Perpendicular-style oak pulpit by Harold Hughes, architect of Bangor; designed in 1920. This has pierced tracery occuli forming a cross to the central face. Similar-style Lectern and Reading Desk. Simple contemporary Rood Screen with open Tudor arches and panelled dado with pierced tracery occuli as before; crenellated brattishing and applied shield bosses, some depicting the Instruments of the Passion. Simple oak pews and altar rails, again in loose Perpendicular style. On the S wall is a large Georgian Royal Arms (George II (?)) painted on two slate tablets.
The N chamber has a simple C20 parclose screen enclosing a vestry space to the W end; this has a relocated retable in front of it (by Jones and Willis, 1934), commemorating those killed in the Great War. Against the N wall is the octagonal oak tester and back to the former (C18) pulpit; fluted pilasters to back. L of this is a tall C18 Benefactors' Board of painted slate. Fragments of c1500 stained glass appear in the tracery lights of both E windows and include figurative and canopy elements as well as fragments of texts in Black Letter Gothic; S aisle stained glass window of 1926 depicting St David, St Mary (BV) and St Nefydd.
Monuments: In the S aisle is the torso of a small late C14 male effigy in limestone; this is of Edward ap Iorwerth. There is also a fine C13 or C14 sepulchral slab with complex circular cross carving and incised sword; in the N aisle are 3 further medieval slab fragments. On the N wall is a plain limestone funerary tablet to Maurice ap John (d.1618) and above this a further, larger tablet to Alice his wife (d. 1614); this has a simple architectural frame with overthrow having crude pyramids flanking an IHS roundel. Fine white marble double funerary tablet to Canon Meredith Wynn (erstwhile Rector of Llansannan and Llannefydd) and his sister Mary (d.1727 and 1728 respectively); this has fine heraldic relief carving above each tablet, simple architectural frame and a carved segmental overthrow of black marble. Ex-situ heraldic marble tablet to Edward Jones of Ddol (d.1766), and a further, simple stone plaque to Jane Wynne (d.1739). Under the E window (N aisle) is an inserted heraldic panel and the date 1682 with initials MW; to the R several inscription tablets to the Ffoulkes family of Llechryd, including one of alabaster and one dated 1686. Two ex-situ brasses, one to Edward Wynne of Plas Ucha (d.1742), the other to William Brown of Pentre Gronant (d.1773); both have fine heraldic engraving. There is a plain, re-used organ of 1920.
Reason for designation
Listed Grade I as a fine and well-preserved late medieval parish church.
Group value with other listed items at the church of St Nefydd and St Mary.
Cadw : Full Report for Listed Buildings [ Records 1 of 1 ]