Full Report for Listed Buildings
Summary Description of a Listed Buildings
Date of Designation
Date of Amendment
Name of Property
Siloh Baptist Chapel and Chapel House with walls, railings and gates
Isle of Anglesey
Located in the centre of the village of Caergeiliog, set back from the S side of the A5(T) Holyhead Road. The chapel and chapel house are set within enclosed grounds bounded by a low rubble wall with wrought iron railings and gates.
Religious, Ritual and Funerary
The chapel was founded in 1847, the present building built in 1866; dated by slate tablets set in the wall above the entrance.
A single storey, gable entry Baptist chapel with 2-storey chapel house set back at right angles to the right (W) side. Walls built with rubble, rendered, with rendered dressings; slate roof with ball finials at gable ends. Gable entrance elevation is strongly symmetrical; front angles with stressed, rendered, quoins and a moulded cornice forming a gable pediment. Central segmental-headed entrance with square-headed doorway under a fanlight with radial bars. Flanking windows are slightly recessed, segmental-headed sashes with glazing bars. Openings with Tuscan architraves supporting moulded hoodmoulds with keystones on shaped brackets. Above the doorway is a slate tablet with round-headed moulded surround, with a rectangular tablet with shaped surround in the tympanum above. Return elevations each of 2 bays with similarly detailed windows (without moulded architraves), a further 2 windows to the rear.
The chapel house is set at right angles to the right (W) side of the chapel. A 2-storey, 2-window range with doorway to the left (E) end and gable stack to right (W). Built of similar materials, ground floor openings with eared architraves; first floor windows, set under the eaves, with plain rendered architraves. Windows are slightly recessed 2-pane sashes.
The chapel grounds are bounded by a low rubble wall; front wall rendered with wrought iron railings above. Central gateway with Chinoiserie style gate piers surmounted by ball finials and linked by an ascending arch decorated with fleur de lys finials. Double gates between with round-headed arched head rails, upper rail and lock rails with interspersed railings of differing heights terminating in fleur de lys finials.
Interior not accessible on inspection.
Reason for designation
Listed as a good example of a simple mid C19 Baptist chapel with a balanced and composed design articulated by finely detailed features; forms a coherent group with the adjacent chapel house.
Cadw : Full Report for Listed Buildings [ Records 1 of 1 ]