Full Report for Listed Buildings
Summary Description of a Listed Buildings
Date of Designation
Date of Amendment
Name of Property
Front Walls and railings at Saron Congregational Chapel
Chapel is prominently located on the E side of Park Row, strikingly terminating vista looking W up Market Street from The Circle. Walls and railings set in front of chapel and schoolroom.
Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Later C19. Chapel built 1858 by Rev. Thomas Thomas of Landore, renowned chapel architect and Congregational minister. The first chapel was built 1819, rebuilt 1828. The 1828 chapel survives as the present schoolroom.
Central ashlar piers with pyramid copings: paired iron gates with spear finials. Flanking lengths of railings each side, some eight metres in length. Railings have spear finials, set on low rubble walls with slab copings. Terminating ashlar piers with pyramid copings. Outer flanking lengths of rubble walling, some ten metres long. Right-hand length has stone coping, left length has rough partly cemented coping. Higher return rubble-built wall to right end, forming N boundary.
Reason for designation
Group value with Saron Chapel.
Cadw : Full Report for Listed Buildings [ Records 1 of 1 ]