Full Report for Listed Buildings
Summary Description of a Listed Buildings
Date of Designation
Date of Amendment
Name of Property
Llwyni Lodge, also known as the Golden Lodge and Gate Lodge
The Lodge stands on the side of the A547 Rhuddlan Road at the inner S end of the avenue leading to Kinmel Hall, but now on the N margin of the main A55 Holyhead Road. The lodge stands on a slightly raised platform, defined by a low stone wall.
Designed and built in 1868 by W E Nesfield for Hugh Robert Hughes of Kinmel, developing the design for a lodge he first employed at Kew Gardens in 1866. Llwyni Lodge was named after the former large house in this area and is placed midway along the northern driveway to Kinmel, which begins with Morfa Lodge and leads up to the proud new mansion.
Ashlar sandstone, with a hipped slate roof with swept eaves. One storey and attic. Rectangular in plan with the main front to the drive. Central door, set slightly forward. Eared and shouldered architrave rising from dies. Above, a field spangled with H's and sunflowers, with other plants in relief at the sides. Brackets support a small balcony with low iron railing and terminal flowers in front of the tall attic window. Timber leaded cross windows with eared and shouldered architraves, and scrolled freize over carrying the date. The walls are capped with a frieze of bold chrysanthemum 'pies' characteristic of Nesfield's work, and a stone cornice. One tall dormer, with a timber cross window on each face of the building, crowned by a pulvinating frieze adorned with sunflowers and a segmental timber pediment. Tall panelled stone stack on the rear (W) slope of the roof, carrying the Hughes arms.
The interior consists of two small rooms (not seen).
Reason for designation
Listed Grade I on account of it being a seminal building in the development of the Queen Anne movement, and particularly in the use of chrysanthemum and sunflower motifs.
Cadw : Full Report for Listed Buildings [ Records 1 of 1 ]