Full Report for Listed Buildings
The list description is not intended to be a complete inventory of what is listed: it is principally intended to aid identification. By law, the definition of a listed building includes the entire building (i) and any structure or object that is fixed to the said building and ancillary to it and (ii) any other structure or object that forms part of the land and has done so since before 1 July 1948, and was within the curtilage of the building, and ancillary to it, on the date on which said building was first included in the list, or on 1 January 1969, whichever was later.
Date of Designation
02/08/1996
Date of Amendment
25/05/2001
Name of Property
Pentre Ffynnon Mill
Unitary Authority
Flintshire
Location
Located off a lane which leads W from Tre Mostyn. At a sharp bend, a track runs S with the mill on the W side, just beyond the farmhouse. Adjoining the E side of the mill is a long U-shaped farm range with alterations.
Broad Class
Agriculture and Subsistence
History
The water mill bears a date of 1823, but may have earlier origins. It is shown on the Whitford Tithe map of 1846-9, but not on a Mostyn estate map of 1742. It was used for milling corn or grist for the Mostyn Estate and the water for the head-race came from the hill to the S. The milled flour or grist appears to have been loaded into a wagon which was driven into a bay in the S side of the building. This entrance was later blocked, and probably simultaneously, a large lean-to porch was built onto the N side to house 3 wagons. When the earlier wagon bay was blocked, the arrangement of machinery inside was altered, including the insertion of hoppers and chutes.
Exterior
Large 4-bay mill of 2 storeys and an attic constructed of rubble sandstone with large quoins under a shallow hipped slate-covered roof. The 2-storey open-fronted porch to the N is under a corrugated roof and contains 3 wagon bays divided by rectangular stone piers. The sides are also open, with a single-storey U-shaped range, now altered, adjoining to the E. Wood planked bins to upper storey of porch (accessed from 1st floor, internally). Above the porch are 4 square ventilation openings with wooden slats to the attic. Inside the porch are doorways to L and R, both with planked doors. That to the L has a flat chamfered stone head, pierced with holes, probably reused from elsewhere. That to the R is wide with a Tudor-arched brick head. The doorframe has an inscription 'I W 1823'. To its L is a 2-light window opening, partly missing, and possibly inserted into a doorway. Further L is a doorway blocked with stone under a flat stone lintel.
To the S side is a large opening to the L (probably originally a wagon bay), now blocked in stone and under a segmental head of stone voussoirs. To its R at 1st floor level are 3 x 2-light iron-framed windows, most of the glazing missing, in chamfered stone surrounds with flat heads. To the attic are 4 square ventilation openings in stone surrounds, the wooden slats retained to the far R only. To the lower storey are 2 iron-framed windows to the R, aligned with those above. The L one is blocked with stone and brick. Small square opening to centre, now altered, with stone and brick lintel, which lights the machinery. At ground level is a wide segmental arched opening, in front of which is the wheel pit, now covered with a steel grille. The headrace runs into it from the S. An arc of the cast iron and wooden wheel survives in situ; it was probably high breast-shot and is at right angles to the S wall of the building. A wallower and wooden main shaft also survive and appear to be well preserved.
The W end of the mill has 2 square ventilation openings with wooden slats to the attic. Loading door offset to R to 1st floor with stable doors under a segmental head of stone voussoirs. Similar ventilation openings to E end; opening to 1st floor offset to R, and single-storey range adjoining below.
Interior
Flagstone floors to ground level, wooden floors above with trapdoors. The R ground floor bay has wooden hoppers with chutes attached to the ceiling, along with belt drives. Wooden boarding around wheel and machinery to centre of S side; drive shaft with wooden pulley wheels for belt drives. Straight timber staircase against N wall. The L bay is open with 2 doorways leading into the adjoining single-storey range. On the 1st floor are 2 bed stones in situ, between which is an iron shaft with crown wheel driving shafts for pulleys and wooden wheels for belt drives. Roof structure of closely-spaced timber trusses in attic.
Reason for designation
Listed as a large and well-preserved estate mill of unusual design, retaining much internal machinery.
Cadw : Full Report for Listed Buildings [ Records 1 of 1 ]