Full Report for Listed Buildings


The list description is not intended to be a complete inventory of what is listed: it is principally intended to aid identification. By law, the definition of a listed building includes the entire building (i) and any structure or object that is fixed to the said building and ancillary to it and (ii) any other structure or object that forms part of the land and has done so since before 1 July 1948, and was within the curtilage of the building, and ancillary to it, on the date on which said building was first included in the list, or on 1 January 1969, whichever was later.

Summary Description


Reference Number
26353
Building Number
 
Grade
II  
Status
Designated  
Date of Designation
19/03/1951  
Date of Amendment
28/03/2002  
Name of Property
Tenby Museum  
Address
 

Location


Unitary Authority
Pembrokeshire  
Community
Tenby  
Town
Tenby  
Locality
 
Easting
213756  
Northing
200495  
Street Side
 
Location
On the S side of Castle Hill, on the NE side of the town.  

Description


Broad Class
Education  
Period
 

History
Museum building in former National School, built into a medieval domestic building, possibly the hall, depicted as roofless and gable-ended in early views. The school was founded in 1832, and enlarged in 1842. The girl's schoolroom was above, the boys' below. It remained in use until the Parochial School was opened in 1874, and the building became the Tenby Museum in 1878. Mural mosaic by Jonah Jones on the museum wall 1991. The 1977 list refers to 2 round chimneys to rear, only one seen in 2001.  

Exterior
Two ranges, the original museum adapted from a medieval building used as the National School until 1874 and the former Museum Cottage to the left, now also part of the museum. The medieval building has walls of grey limestone rubble with band of corbelling along S front, above ground floor, flat parapet, and C19 hipped roof with imitation slates. Brick N end stack. Two inserted flat-headed tripartite sashes to ground floor and 2 cambered-headed 4-pane sashes on first floor S. Similar tripartite sash each floor in E end wall. Roof is outshut to rear with heavily rendered and capped round chimney in NW angle to Museum Cottage. Added single-storey NE wing has eroded 1991 mosaic on E side wall, and a further wing runs W parallel to original building. The former Museum Cottage to the W is a painted stucco 2-storey, 3-window range with slate close-eaved roof and left end stack. Facade is of 2 builds, 2-window range to right with small windows above (C20 glazing) above late C20 flat-roofed glazed museum entrance, one window added section to left with brick end stack, 8-pane sash above, 12-pane below. Outshut rear.  

Interior
 

Reason for designation
Included as a substantial surviving medieval building, and for historical reasons as among the early museums in Wales. Scheduled Ancient Monument Cadw Ref 16/2072/PE163 (PEM).  

Cadw : Full Report for Listed Buildings [ Records 1 of 1 ]





Export