Full Report for Listed Buildings
The list description is not intended to be a complete inventory of what is listed: it is principally intended to aid identification. By law, the definition of a listed building includes the entire building (i) and any structure or object that is fixed to the said building and ancillary to it and (ii) any other structure or object that forms part of the land and has done so since before 1 July 1948, and was within the curtilage of the building, and ancillary to it, on the date on which said building was first included in the list, or on 1 January 1969, whichever was later.
Date of Designation
03/05/2002
Date of Amendment
03/05/2002
Name of Property
Church of St Peter
Unitary Authority
Vale of Glamorgan
Location
On low-lying ground by the Cadoxton River a short distance N of the village centre.
Broad Class
Religious, Ritual and Funerary
History
Designed by J Coates Carter, the notable Glamorgan architect, and built after his death in 1929-30, omitting the originally planned tower and N aisle. Much of the masonry was re-used from the Cyfarthfa ironworks. Built to serve the growing community of Dinas Powys whose earlier parish church is in the separate hamlet of St Andrew's Major, its immediate predecessor being an 'iron church' in Highwalls Road.
Exterior
Inter-War church in a simple late medieval style. Built of coursed yellow stone with grey tooled ashlar dressings; roof of small slates with sprocketed and slightly swept eaves. Main windows, at E and W, have Perpendicular-style tracery, side windows are square headed with cusped lights divided by mullions and close narrow hoodmoulds, slit openings in apexes. Plan of nave, wide but shallow S porch, S aisle, chancel, N vestry. Porch is tall, 2-storeyed and steeply gabled with a 3-light window with hoodmould above a wide 2-ordered pointed-arched chamfered doorway; iron outer gates; battered plinth. Inside is a flat beamed timber ceiling, slit side windows and the main pointed arched chamfered and stopped S doorway, W doorway probably for planned tower. The 3 aisle windows are of 4-lights, each pair divided by a mullion. Long single cusped SE light. Chancel is only marginally shorter than the nave. The three S windows have triple lights; arched basement doorway at SE. 3-light Perpendicular E windows under a Tudor-arched hood. To N a second entrance flanked by tall stack in the double cross-gabled vestry wing. W window similar Perpendicular style with pointed-arched chamfered and stopped doorway.
Interior
Interior is of unrendered dressed stone blocks. 4-bay S aisle has plain wide pointed arches with square piers and simple chamfered caps. Chancel arch is also wide and pointed with no caps. Open timber roof of Columbian pine with 4 trusses of tie-beam, collar and queen posts to nave; 2 similar lower to chancel; deep crenellated wallplate. Furnishings throughout of light oak. Screen to side chapel at SE. At W a baptistry arched recess with low font on a thick round stem and deep plinth, given by Sunday School scholars in 1936. 3 steps up to chancel, low chancel screen with returns incorporating clergy seat, 3 rows of choir stalls, 1 step up to sanctuary and 3 to altar; organ in recess N and adjacent grid door to vestry.
Reason for designation
Listed for its robust architectural interest and by a prominent Glamorgan architect.
Cadw : Full Report for Listed Buildings [ Records 1 of 1 ]